Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Trade speakers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    I may have an opportunity to trade a pair
    of Altec model 19's for a pair of A7's

    Any pros/cons on this would be appreciated
    from those who are in the know.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Kind of depends on the condition of each pair of speakers and what you want to do with them (how big is the room they would go in? Are you into LOUD?) but I'd take the A7's in a heartbeat. Just my opinion.

    Guy

  3. #3
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Guy

    Thanks for the info. I bought the 19's new; I
    am the original owner. They are in near mint
    condition. My room is about 19x22 and they
    are in two corners alond the long side.

    I have an old pair of A7s in my shop and I do
    know the 19's have a "boomier" bottom (low freq.),
    where the A7's are "crispier" on the low freq.

    I actually wanted to buy A7s instead of the 19's
    but at the time, I had no where to put them.
    That was 25 years ago and now I am almost 50 and
    want to chase this dream I have had! Is this a
    mid life crisis?

    Pizzazz

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dear Mid life crisis:

    Changing the old reliable model 19 for the cutie dreamy A7 model will bring you more bulk, decreased deep bass output and only slightly improved midbass clarity and output. Luckily for you there will be no expense to experiment but likely you will come to agree it is cheaper and better to keep her.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dear Roland

    I assume "keep her" means to keep the 19's?
    As fate would have it, my wife has drawn a
    line in the sand, so I will be keeping the
    19's; HOWEVER, I have made a cash offer for
    the A7 cabinets, since I have an old unmatched
    pair in my shop, and a full compliment of
    components to populate a pair of A7 cabinets.

    If all goes well, I hope to "sneak" the A7s
    into my home while my wife is not looking!

    Wish me luck!


    Crisis

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sneak them in while she's away. I'm sure she'll never notice them.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Last time I tried to sneak the A7's into the house, my wife knew the minute she drove in the yard. "But they really sound best when they are cranked up.", I said. For some unimmaginable reason that didn't seem to make any difference to her and back to the loft room over the garage they went.

    A7's are great no matter where you have to put them....

  8. #8
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Gang!

    Looks like my trade/purchase of A7 cabinets
    might be going sour!

    Does ANYONE in Florida have a pair of A7
    cabinets, in GOOD condition (paint and decals)
    they need to sell? Just enclosures is all I
    need! My kingdom for A7s!

    Just antsie, trying to make a dream come true!

    M.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Why don't you just download some of the plans that are available on the net, and on this site I am sure somewhere, and build them yourself, or have somebody build them for you? The decals can be bought off of ebay if you really want them too.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    I suppose building a pair might be a possibility,
    but someone, somewhere must have a pair in their
    shed that needs a good home!

    I have a pair of the Blue-style VOTT decals that
    were not in production very long, so maybe I
    could trade for 4 of the old style...

    I will exhaust getting a pair of cabinets first.

    If I make a pair, they will be made of furniture
    grade plywood, at least 9 plys, and I will spline
    mitre the joints. Put a clear finish on them...
    Nice!

    M.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.